ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — Around 6:40 p.m. on Tuesday, several crews were called to the 2800 block of Lapey Street for a building explosion.
Fire officials confirmed that one person has died as a result of the explosion. Two people are still being treated for serious injuries
When first responders arrived on scene, two people were laying outside the building. Investigators are still working on what caused the explosion.
Debris from the blast damaged several nearby homes. A neighboring house also caught on fire but was put out quickly.
Officials say that natural gas was what ignited the blast. Investigators aren’t sure yet what caused the gas to explode.
Nicor Gas has been called the scene to shut off the gas line.
This is a developing story.
- Rockford police investigate overnight shooting
- Temperatures tumble Friday morning
- Winnebago County nursing home to accept residents from other counties
- Man behind murder at Machesney Park bar found guilty by jury
- Strong thunderstorms and heavy rain possible for some Thursday night