CHICAGO (AP) – A 16-year-old Chicago girl has been shot to death after returning to help a man being beaten by a group of people, police said.
The girl, Lizzette Mata, and the man were walking home in an alley after eating at a restaurant when four males got out of an SUV and confronted them on the South Side, Chicago police spokeswoman Sally Bown said.
The males began to beat the man about 7:10 p.m., and the girl ran to a nearby friend for help, Bown told the Chicago Sun-Times.
As the girl and friend returned, someone in the group fired shots, Bown said. The beaten man told investigators he saw the girl fall to the ground. She had been shot in the head.
The girl was rushed to Mount Sinai Hospital but was pronounced dead at 8:40 p.m., the Cook County medical examiner’s office said.
No arrests have been made.
- IceHogs ready to speed into their season while navigating COVID protocols
- Kenny Strawbridge’s heroic hoop leads to conference award
- Pot taxes to fund violence prevention, prisoner re-entry programs
- Pregnant women should not take Moderna vaccine, WHO advises
- One month after Don Carter Lanes shooting, 14-year-old survivor hopes to use his story to help others