SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) — State officials say hunters in Illinois took a total of 50,173 deer during the first weekend of the firearm season Nov. 22-24.
The preliminary total reflects a 15% drop in the number of deer harvested compared with the first weekend in 2018.
The Illinois Department of Natural Resources says that the seven-day firearm season will conclude Dec. 5-8.
But IDNR notes that there are other hunting opportunities under way or approaching. They include archery hunting and hunting with muzzleloaders, late-winter antlerless-only deer hunting and Chronic Wasting Disease hunting in certain counties.
- LIVE: Gov. Pritzker announces new COVID-19 guidelines for Illinois
- RPS reveals survey data, along with other back-to-school updates
- Stimulus check update: Trump, McConnell huddle as COVID aid talks at risk of collapse
- President Trump signs executive orders to ban TikTok, WeChat in 45 days
- Freeport city leaders open their ears to residents on ways to improve relationships with the community
Copyright © 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.