LONG BEACH (KRON) — A Long Beach K-9 has died, according to the Long Beach Police Department.
“Ozzy” was in the officer’s K-9 car when he died.
He and his handler were both off-duty during the incident.
Police said the death wasn’t intentional.
“We believe this was an accident and we are taking all the necessary steps to avoid this from happening in the future.”
The K-9 cars have fail/safe equipment that is supposed to send out alerts. The department believes the alert system was not working at the time, according to officials,
A veterinarian examination determined the cause of death to be heat-related.
- Police, experts condemn knee restraint used on George Floyd
- UW Whitewater plans for return of students to campus this fall
- LIVE: Gov. Pritzker holds daily Illinois coronavirus briefing for Friday, May 29th
- Fired police officer Derek Chauvin charged with murder in George Floyd’s death
- President Trump holds news conference in the Rose Garden