DANVILLE, Ill. (AP) — Authorities say a sheriff’s deputy shot an inmate in a holding cell of a courthouse in eastern Illinois after the inmate stabbed him several times in the face.
The (Champaign) News-Gazette reports that the Vermilion County Sheriff Pat Hartshorn said the incident happened Friday morning on the first floor of the county courthouse in Danville. He says both men were taken to an area hospital but there was no immediate information about their conditions.
There was no immediate information about the inmate or why he attacked the Vermilion County sheriff’s deputy. The Illinois State Police are investigating because the incident involved an officer-involved shooting.
Officials say the courthouse remains open.
- Rockford resident and Lebanon native reacts to massive Beirut explosion
- Local theater group uses downtime to teach young performers
- Tropical Storm Isaias Continues to Move Through the New England States
- Slattery in position for a top 10 finish at the Illinois Open
- Iowa man stole hand sanitizer after breaking into bank, police say
Copyright © 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.