DANVILLE, Ill. (AP) — Authorities say a sheriff’s deputy shot an inmate in a holding cell of a courthouse in eastern Illinois after the inmate stabbed him several times in the face.
The (Champaign) News-Gazette reports that the Vermilion County Sheriff Pat Hartshorn said the incident happened Friday morning on the first floor of the county courthouse in Danville. He says both men were taken to an area hospital but there was no immediate information about their conditions.
There was no immediate information about the inmate or why he attacked the Vermilion County sheriff’s deputy. The Illinois State Police are investigating because the incident involved an officer-involved shooting.
Officials say the courthouse remains open.
- LIVE: Biden to elevate role of science with cabinet picks
- Trump administration carries out 13th and final execution
- Protests demand Ted Cruz’s resignation at senator’s Houston office
- Rock County man arrested for 7th OWI
- More than 30 lawmakers call for investigation into ‘suspicious’ access to Capitol Complex ahead of breach
Copyright © 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.