DANVILLE, Ill. (AP) — Authorities say a sheriff’s deputy shot an inmate in a holding cell of a courthouse in eastern Illinois after the inmate stabbed him several times in the face.
The (Champaign) News-Gazette reports that the Vermilion County Sheriff Pat Hartshorn said the incident happened Friday morning on the first floor of the county courthouse in Danville. He says both men were taken to an area hospital but there was no immediate information about their conditions.
There was no immediate information about the inmate or why he attacked the Vermilion County sheriff’s deputy. The Illinois State Police are investigating because the incident involved an officer-involved shooting.
Officials say the courthouse remains open.
- Former Crusader James Robinson helps ISU to victory over Northern Arizona, their third straight win
- Pineiro questionable for Bears MNF game
- Chicago reassigns 12 to Rockford
- 25 years later, a new generation gets immersed in ‘Friends’
- Holy anniversary! Displays of bat signal fete Batman at 80
Copyright © 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.