NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) — A Virginia man was arrested after a spanking that led to his 7-year-old daughter being taken to the hospital, police say.
Police didn’t have many details in a release Wednesday, but said they were dispatched to a local hospital on Tuesday afternoon in reference to the assault, which reportedly happened Sunday at a home in the 700 block of 44th Street.
The child suffered pain and bruising after the assault, prompting her mother to take her to the hospital, police say.
The child’s father, 34-year-old Joseph Hooper, was arrested and charged with assault on a family member and child abuse/neglect.
- Poll: More than a third of Americans won’t even trust their doctor to tell them a COVID-19 vaccine is safe
- Who won the Trump-Biden debate? 6 moments that defined the night
- Put on the spot over white supremacy, President Trump tells Proud Boys to ‘stand by’
- Giolito’s gem leads White Sox to wild card win
- Fact check: A look at claims from Trump and Biden’s first debate