(WTVO) — Cedric Benson former Chicago Bears running back has died in a motorcycle accident.
The accident left him and one other dead.
KVUE reports that the Austin Police Department and Fire Department stated that they responded to reports of a motorcycle and car crash around 10:20 p.m.
First responders said one of the vehicles was on fire when they arrived to the scene, KVUE reports.
Benson was drafted by the Chicago Bears, fourth overall, in the 2005 NFL draft signing a five-year $35 million contract.
The first official word of the accident came from Benson’s brother, Dominic, who posted the following on Facebook.
Last night Benson had posted this picture of his motorcycle on Instagram, he wrote “My Saturday evening.”
Benson attended the University of Texas in Austin where he was a four year starter.
In 2004 at Texas, Benson won the Doak Walker Award which is given to the nation’s best running back.
His final season came in 2012.
- USPS launches site to adopt Santa’s letters and provide gifts for needy kids
- Light Wintry Mix Possible Overnight Monday, into Tuesday Morning
- Local art students learn best ways to prepare for college
- Transform Rockford begins its holiday book drive
- Rockford communities looking to bring Christmas joy to children everywhere