CARROLLTON, Texas (WJW) — A family in Texas says 18 relatives were diagnosed with COVID-19 after attending a surprise birthday party.
He interacted with seven others at the party, who contracted the virus and spread it to another 10 relatives.Florida woman, 15 friends test positive for COVID-19 after dinner at restaurant
Relative Ron Barbosa, a volunteer EMT who is married to a doctor, said he and his wife didn’t go to the party due to safety issues. He said the party was “only a couple of hours” and everyone tried to social distance.
“When people started getting sick, we really let everyone have it,” he told WFAA. “We knew this was going to happen. I meant his whole time this has been going on we’ve been terrified.”Ohio teens return from Myrtle Beach vacation with COVID-19
Among those who contracted COVID-19 were two children, two grandparents, a cancer patient and Barbosa’s parents, who are in their 80s. His parents and sister, Kathy, who has breast cancer, are in the hospital.
Barbosa said his sister socially distanced outside on a porch but was still infected.
His father is in ICU on life support.
“My dad’s hanging on by a thread,” he said. “They’re saying this is one of the last straws.”
For more from WFAA, click here.
- Blackhawks stun Oilers; advance to Western Conference Q-finals
- More protesters arrested in downtown Rockford as City Market returns after two weeks away
- Protesters arrested after blocking E. State again, despite warnings
- Kanye West falls 1,300 signatures short to appear on Illinois ballot
- Southwest Airlines no longer cleaning armrests, seat belts between flights