ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — For the first time in the U.S., Muhammad is one of the top 10 names for baby boys, according to BabyCenter.
Muhammad ranks at number 10 on the list, behind Liam, Jackson, Noah, Aiden, Grayson, Caden, Lucas, Elijah, and Oliver.
“Muslim families often choose Muhammad for firstborn sons to honor the prophet and bring blessings to the child,” said BabyCenter’s global editor in chief, Linda Murray. “The name also has multiple spellings, and that helps a name get into the top 10.”
According to BabyCenter, its data comes from 600,000 parents who shared their baby’s name with the organization.
BabyCenter also says names of Arabic origin are on the rise, as Aaliyah mad the list for Top 10 girls’ names.
Eleanor and Miles were tied for second fastest growing names.
- Belvidere Chamber holds ‘trunk or treat’ so kids don’t miss out on Halloween fun
- Event donates coats, hats, gloves to homeless Rockford veterans
- In latest border-wall ceremony before election, DHS leader commemorates 400th mile
- Oklahoma mother gives birth to 8-pound baby at home during ice storm
- Despite record turnout, Dems worried about voter suppression