ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (WFLA) – Tampa Bay Rays minor leaguer Blake Bivens’ wife and child are among three killed according to ESPN.

Police in Virginia have charged 18-year-old Mathew Bernard, Bivens’ wife’s brother, with first-degree homicide.

Mathew Bernard has been charged with three counts of first degree murder.

Bivens was drafted by the Rays in 2014, when he was 18.

He plays for the Montgomery Biscuits.

Blake Bivens photo via CNN

The Biscuits cancelled their scheduled double-header against Chattanooga last night.

Police first received a 911 call at 8 a.m. reporting that a person had been shot at 1949 Keeling Drive in Pittsylvania County. When officers arrived on scene, they found a woman dead in the driveway of the home. After entering the residence, police discovered the bodies of a second woman and a child.

Pittsylvania County authorities issued an alert as they searched for 18-year-old Mathew Bernard around 10 a.m. Tuesday, warning that he was considered armed very dangerous. This prompted the lock down of several schools in the area.

Authorities in Pittsylvania County Virginia arrested Bernard after a manhunt near the Virginia-North Carolina border.

He was naked when investigators located him.

By 12:18 p.m., Pittsylvania County Sheriff Mike Taylor said a suspect had been taken into custody though he never named Bernard as the suspect during a press conference. He was charged late Tuesday with three counts of first degree murder. Bernard was taken into custody less than a mile from the scene of the crime.

He is charged with three counts of first degree murder.

According to ESPN, the victims are reported as Bivens’ wife, child, and mother-in-law.

“This is a shock to our community. To anybody’s community when something like this happens and it’s just a reminder of how fragile life is,” said Pittslyvania County Sheriff, Mike Taylor.

In a statement, the Tampa Bay Rays organization wrote in part: “Our hearts are broken for Blake. We are grieving with him and will support him any way we can.”

A motive is not yet known for the murders.

“We won’t go into the whys because we don’t know yet,” Taylor told reporters. “We are trying to figure that out ourselves.”

He said officers were on the scene about 10 to 12 minutes after the first call to 911. More than 100 officers responded to the scene from numerous agencies.


For more local news, download the MyStateline app (iOS) or (Android).

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram!