(CNN) — It’s National Skyscraper day!
Each year on September third, National Skyscraper Day is a time appreciate the beautiful architecture and construction of some of the world’s tallest buildings.
In cities where space is a premium, skyscrapers allow us to build upwards rather than take up a lot of land.
They often define a city’s skyline, but they’ve only been around for about the last 130 years.
The first skyscraper in the world was built in Chicago in 1885.
Today, a building has to be at least 40 stories to be classified as a skyscraper.
- New mother rushes into fire, saves driver from tanker explosion in Indianapolis
- Wisconsin nurse sentenced to 13 years in prison for abusing nine infants, leaving them with broken ribs, legs
- Rockford man charged with string of recent retail thefts
- Soon, a candle can make your house smell like McDonald’s
- Illinois Republicans: Pritzker tying school funding to tax vote ‘shameful’
Copyright © 2020 CNN Newsource. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.