(CNN) — It’s National Skyscraper day!
Each year on September third, National Skyscraper Day is a time appreciate the beautiful architecture and construction of some of the world’s tallest buildings.
In cities where space is a premium, skyscrapers allow us to build upwards rather than take up a lot of land.
They often define a city’s skyline, but they’ve only been around for about the last 130 years.
The first skyscraper in the world was built in Chicago in 1885.
Today, a building has to be at least 40 stories to be classified as a skyscraper.
- Former Crusader James Robinson helps ISU to victory over Northern Arizona, their third straight win
- Pineiro questionable for Bears MNF game
- Chicago reassigns 12 to Rockford
- 25 years later, a new generation gets immersed in ‘Friends’
- Holy anniversary! Displays of bat signal fete Batman at 80
Copyright © 2019 CNN Newsource. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.