Louisville declares State of Emergency awaiting decision in Breonna Taylor case


This undated photo provided by Taylor family attorney Sam Aguiar shows Breonna Taylor in Louisville, Ky. Three months after plainclothes detectives serving a warrant busted into Tylor’s apartment on March 13, 2020, and shot the 26-year-old Black woman to death, only one of the three officers who opened fire has lost his job. Calls for action against the officers have gotten louder during a national reckoning over racism and police brutality following George Floyd’s death in Minneapolis. (Photo provided by Taylor family attorney Sam Aguiar via AP)

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) — Louisville, Kentucky, police have canceled vacations in preparation for an announcement by state Attorney General Daniel Cameron about whether he will charge officers involved in the shooting death of Breonna Taylor.

Police officials said on Monday that officers’ off-day and vacation requests were being canceled “until further notice” as the city awaits Cameron’s announcement, according to a statement.

“To ensure we have the appropriate level of staffing to provide for public safety services and our policing functions, effective immediately the LMPD will operate under the emergency staffing and reporting guidelines as outlined in the Standard Operating Procedures, Emergency Reponse Plan and collective bargaining agreements until further notice,” the statement read.

Taylor was shot on March 13 after officers carrying a narcotics warrant entered her home and fired after Taylor’s boyfriend, Kenneth Walker, fired a shot that struck an officer. Walker said he didn’t know police were at the door and thought it was an intruder. Celebrities, athletes and activists have called for months for Cameron to criminally charge the officers involved in the raid.

“It is important to note that (Cameron) has said there is no timetable for the announcement,” the statement said.

Large protests over Taylor’s death erupted in late May in the city but most demonstrations since then have been peaceful, including a massive march outside the Kentucky Derby earlier this month.

Police said they are also setting up some barricades around the downtown area. Many of the protests have been around a downtown park and city hall.

Federal officials have closed the federal courthouse and other federal buildings for the week.

Copyright 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Trending Stories