The Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation released data showing the state’s marijuana dispensaries sold nearly $40 million worth of recreational weed in January.
Illinois residents bought more than $30.6 million, while out-of-state visitor sales totaled $8.6 million, the report shows. Dispensaries sold over 970,000 products.
The pace of sales slowed considerably from the first days of legalization. On Jan. 1, operators sold $3.2 million in pot products. Total sales hit $10.8 million by the end of the first five days of sales.
Illinois was just the second state in the Midwest to launch recreational pot sales, after Michigan.
- Man hospitalized 99 days with COVID-19 wakes from coma to learn wife died of virus
- One-on-one with presidential hopeful Joe Biden
- Dream job: Company offering $1,000 to play Animal Crossing
- AP: After lobbying, Catholic Church won $1.4B in virus aid
- Bed Bath & Beyond to close 200 stores