The Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation released data showing the state’s marijuana dispensaries sold nearly $40 million worth of recreational weed in January.
Illinois residents bought more than $30.6 million, while out-of-state visitor sales totaled $8.6 million, the report shows. Dispensaries sold over 970,000 products.
The pace of sales slowed considerably from the first days of legalization. On Jan. 1, operators sold $3.2 million in pot products. Total sales hit $10.8 million by the end of the first five days of sales.
Illinois was just the second state in the Midwest to launch recreational pot sales, after Michigan.
- Singer Pink and her 3-year-old son test positive for COVID-19
- A student from Kentucky makes masks for the hearing impaired community
- Jeff Bezos donates $100 million to Feeding America, a Chicago-based nonprofit
- How to make a homemade face mask, with or without sewing
- The Winnebago County Sheriff’s Office is spreading birthday cheer to kids across the Stateline