(CNN) — A new study finds that for one in 16 American women, their first sexual experience was forced or coerced.
Researchers surveyed more than three million women between the ages of 18 and 44.
They found more than six percent said their first sexual experience was unwanted.
The violence was reported across all demographic groups.
Women who reported being attacked were an average age of 15 when it happened.
Their assailants was typically six years older.
Its authors say doctors should develop tools to help patients who have experienced sexual trauma.
- Gilbert and Hagel Return to IceHogs from Chicago Blackhawks
- Martin Luther King Day event encourages voter registration
- Mostert lifts 49ers to Super Bowl with 37-20 win vs Packers
- Delia and Gagne Lead Hogs to Shutout Win Over Wolves
- Overnight Café houses people in need during cold nights
Copyright © 2020 CNN Newsource. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.