(CNN) — The Better Business Bureau is warning of an “unclaimed rewards” scam.
Scammers promise unclaimed rewards to trick people into providing credit card information.
The victims get a postcard, email or social media message saying they have an unclaimed reward at major retailers like Walmart and Target, and provide a phone number to claim it.
On the phone, they’re asked to confirm their identity and provide credit card information to pay for mailing costs.
Then the scammers try to use the credit card to buy items.
The BBB recommends being wary of unsolicited correspondence and to never give personal information to people you don’t know.
You can learn more from BBB.org.
- Wisconsin man convicted of sexually assaulting boy given probation
- Teen accused of using remote control car to smuggle meth across border
- Koala rescued from Australian wildfire faces long recovery
- Woman charged for being topless in front of stepkids in own home
- Family says FedEx driver threw package over fence, killed dog
Copyright © 2019 CNN Newsource. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.