(CNN) — The Better Business Bureau is warning of an “unclaimed rewards” scam.
Scammers promise unclaimed rewards to trick people into providing credit card information.
The victims get a postcard, email or social media message saying they have an unclaimed reward at major retailers like Walmart and Target, and provide a phone number to claim it.
On the phone, they’re asked to confirm their identity and provide credit card information to pay for mailing costs.
Then the scammers try to use the credit card to buy items.
The BBB recommends being wary of unsolicited correspondence and to never give personal information to people you don’t know.
You can learn more from BBB.org.
- LIVE COVERAGE: Trump, Biden set to meet in Ohio for 1st debate
- Bears stay vigilant with COVID-19 protocols after the Titans have a few positive virus tests
- LIVE: Multiple crews respond, two in critical condition after home explosion on Rockford’s south side
- Scattered showers continue into Wednesday
- 9 charged after McCloskey confrontation won’t be prosecuted
Copyright © 2020 CNN Newsource. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.