Unrest continues for the second night following Breonna Taylor announcement


A person sits in a police vehicle after being detained, Thursday, Sept. 24, 2020, in Louisville, Ky. Authorities pleaded for calm while activists vowed to fight on Thursday in Kentucky’s largest city, where a gunman wounded two police officers during anguished protests following the decision not to charge officers for killing Breonna Taylor. (AP Photo/John Minchillo)

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP/NewsNation Now) — UPDATE (1:45 a.m.)

At least 24 people have been arrested in Louisville during the second night of protests over a grand jury’s decision not to indict police officers on criminal charges directly related to the death of Breonna Taylor.

Louisville Metro Police said early Friday that the demonstrators were arrested before 1 a.m. on charges including unlawful assembly, failure to disperse and riot in the first degree.

Authorities alleged the protesters broke windows at a restaurant, damaged city buses, tried to set a fire and threw a flare into the street.

The agency also denied accusations that circulated on social media that officers were waiting for a decision from lawyers about whether they could “storm” a private church property where hundreds of protesters had gathered to avoid arrest after the city’s curfew went into effect.

The protesters disbanded around 11 p.m. Thursday after negotiating with police in riot gear, who also pulled back.

10:52 p.m. Unrest continues for the second night after a Kentucky grand jury announced their decision in the March killing of Breonna Taylor.

Just before 9 p.m. ET the Louisville Metro Police declared an unlawful assembly due to protesters breaking windows on 4th Street. LMPD also streamed their police response on Facebook for the second night in a row.

A curfew of 9 p.m. was in place Thursday evening.

About 100 demonstrators have gathered in Louisville, defying a nighttime curfew and nearby police in riot gear, marking a second night of protests in the Breonna Taylor case.

Before the march began, protester Shameka Parrish-Wright told the crowd to stay together and take care of each other if they were met with force.

“We want to show the country and the world what we’re about,” Parrish-Wright said. Some protesters blocked roads as they marched. Police, meanwhile, were seen nearby and patrol cars blocked some roads. There was no immediate signs of a confrontation.

Several dozen demonstrators left the First Unitarian Church around 11 p.m. Thursday after a negotiated end to a tense confrontation. Police who had gathered there with riot gear also pulled back.

Several arrests were made earlier that evening at an intersection outside the church. But there appeared to be no police interference as the protest disbanded.

Demonstrator Nicole Aghaaliandastjerdi said she knew several people taken into custody and believes they were arrested unfairly.

“I am not sad, I am angry,” she said, vowing to return downtown Friday to help her friends get out of jail.

More than 125 people were arrested Wednesday night, Louisville police said.

NewsNation was on the scene of a peaceful Breonna Taylor memorial Thursday evening before curfew.

“I am going to pray no one gets killed or hurt. I am sorry about those officers. That is not part of what I am out here fighting for,” said Rosie Henderson. “They could have been killed. There is too much killing. We need healing and we need prayer and we need to be unified.”

All three Louisville police officers are cleared of all charges directly involved in the killing of Taylor. One of the three police officers was indicted but the indictment was for shooting his gun at Taylor’s neighbor’s apartment.

Two Louisville police officers were shot during Wednesday night’s protests. The Louisville mayor said one officer was released and the other was recovering after surgery. Police charged 26-year-old Larynzo Johnson with shooting the officers.

Politicians called for calm across the country Thursday night after unrest spread from Kentucky to other parts of the country.

Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear, a Democrat, condemned the violence. The governor said President Donald Trump called him Wednesday night to offer federal assistance with protests if needed. He said they both “agreed that at this time we have appropriate levels of law enforcement or peacekeepers there.”

Missouri Governor Mike Parson activated the Missouri National Guard Thursday in a move he said was “precautionary” and a “proactive” step in response to civil unrest across the country.

In St. Louis, protesters marched from a candlelight vigil onto Interstate 64 where they temporarily blocked traffic.

Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker also signed an order activating 1,000 members of the Massachusetts National Guard.

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo expressed how he felt about the Breonna Taylor case in a coronavirus briefing Thursday saying:

“Breonna Taylor’s death. Breonna Taylor’s death was murder. People were outraged. Yes, because it’s outrageous. If a person was murdered, then there’s a murderer, right? That’s how it works. And, the underlying police action should never have happened in the first place. We at least have to learn from these horrific situations, and God forbid anything like that happened in this state.”

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

This story is developing. Refresh for updates.


For more local news, download the MyStateline app (iOS) or (Android).

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram!

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories