MADISON, Wis. (AP) — A nurse convicted of injuring nine infants at a Wisconsin hospital has been sentenced to 13 years in prison.
Christopher Kaphaem pleaded guilty in September to 19 felony counts, including child abuse. Injuries ranged from bruises to broken bones and occurred between March 2017 and February 2018.
The babies were in the newborn intensive care unit at UnityPoint Health-Meriter hospital in Madison.
The State Journal reports the last child injured had multiple broken bones, including a fractured skull.
Kaphaem told parents attending Thursday’s sentencing that he felt shame for what he did. Kaphaem earlier told investigators he didn’t remember harming the children.
- Cardboard cutouts pose as guests for wedding amid COVID-19
- ‘I’m ready to save grown-ups’: Lurie Children’s Hospital loans ventilators
- Coronavirus forces Ohio dairy farmers to dump milk while grocers limit purchase quantities
- Car flips and catches fire in downtown Rockford
- New data shows peoples’ cell phone habits are changing
Copyright © 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.