(AP) — A 20-year-old woman has died after she was hit by a car on an Illinois interstate while trying to cross from her disabled vehicle to family members waiting in the outside lane.
Illinois State Police say Rachel Watson of Camargo, about 25 miles (40 kilometers) south of Champaign, parked her disabled vehicle on the inside shoulder of Interstate 294 southbound near Franklin Park.
She got out of the vehicle to cross to the right shoulder, where her family was waiting in another vehicle. She was hit by a car in the far right lane of traffic around 8:05 p.m.
- Poll: More than a third of Americans won’t even trust their doctor to tell them a COVID-19 vaccine is safe
- Who won the Trump-Biden debate? 6 moments that defined the night
- Put on the spot over white supremacy, President Trump tells Proud Boys to ‘stand by’
- Giolito’s gem leads White Sox to wild card win
- Fact check: A look at claims from Trump and Biden’s first debate