JANESVILLE, Wis. (WTVO) — A man cleaning his mother’s attic Friday found an unexploded artillery shell – which he then transported to the Rock County Sheriff’s Office, causing a brief evacuation of the area as the bomb squad was called for.
The Rock County Sheriff says the man who found the shell said he was unfamiliar with the artillery, and put it in a car to take it to the parking lot of the sheriff’s office.
Officials immediately blocked off the parking lot and evacuated the building.
The Rockford Police Department Bomb Squad was called in to take custody of the device.
Police say citizens should not handle such devices, and should safely evacuate the area and call 9-1-1.
- Slim Jim jerky recipe creator Lon Adams dies of COVID-19
- LIVE: Winnebago County officials give weekly coronavirus update for Wednesday, December 2nd
- Top dog, cat names of 2020 include coronavirus-related monikers
- Police searching for motorist who killed cat by throwing it out of Jeep into busy Oklahoma intersection
- Pritzker pays tribute to healthcare workers as Illinois records highest single day COVID-19 death total