JANESVILLE, Wis. (WTVO) — A man cleaning his mother’s attic Friday found an unexploded artillery shell – which he then transported to the Rock County Sheriff’s Office, causing a brief evacuation of the area as the bomb squad was called for.
The Rock County Sheriff says the man who found the shell said he was unfamiliar with the artillery, and put it in a car to take it to the parking lot of the sheriff’s office.
Officials immediately blocked off the parking lot and evacuated the building.
The Rockford Police Department Bomb Squad was called in to take custody of the device.
Police say citizens should not handle such devices, and should safely evacuate the area and call 9-1-1.
- Illinois schools can reopen for summer school, Pritzker says
- Court rules against planned Sydney protest due to virus fear
- Cedar Point, Kings Island, Kalahari Resorts sue Ohio Department of Health to reopen
- Personal protective equipment winding up in ocean, environmental groups say
- 8-year-old North Carolina girl dies after battling COVID-19