JANESVILLE, Wis. (WTVO) — A man cleaning his mother’s attic Friday found an unexploded artillery shell – which he then transported to the Rock County Sheriff’s Office, causing a brief evacuation of the area as the bomb squad was called for.
The Rock County Sheriff says the man who found the shell said he was unfamiliar with the artillery, and put it in a car to take it to the parking lot of the sheriff’s office.
Officials immediately blocked off the parking lot and evacuated the building.
The Rockford Police Department Bomb Squad was called in to take custody of the device.
Police say citizens should not handle such devices, and should safely evacuate the area and call 9-1-1.
- US soldier charged with planning to bomb American news network, attack Antifa
- Police corner spotted cows at home of Spotted Cow beer
- Rockford man arrested for home invasion, beating woman
- 19-year-old charged with handgun possession after running from police
- Suspect chases down, fires shots at teens after they throw soda on his car