ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — A tense situation unfolds right outside of Rockford Police District 1 Headquarters Saturday night.
Police have fired tear gas and ordered a large crowd of protestors to disperse after many of them threw rocks at the headquarters and vandalized a police sign. Several arrests have been made.
Earlier Saturday, before the protests turned violent, protesters met at Haskell Park in Rockford and marched throughout downtown Rockford.
The group stopped at the Winnebago County Justice Center before moving to the Rockford Police Department District 1.
Officers have confirmed that no arrests have been made so far. The department asked everyone to go home shortly before 9 p.m.
- Areas of frost possible heading into the weekend
- Beloit man charged with murder after stabbings at Ohio travel plaza
- Manufacturing industry needs to fill hundreds of thousands of jobs
- New dishes, fruit, and more Throwback Thursday pizza week!
- Pin the pepperoni on the pizza with Nick from Black Castle Properties