ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — A tense situation unfolds right outside of Rockford Police District 1 Headquarters Saturday night.
Police have fired tear gas and ordered a large crowd of protestors to disperse after many of them threw rocks at the headquarters and vandalized a police sign. Several arrests have been made.
Earlier Saturday, before the protests turned violent, protesters met at Haskell Park in Rockford and marched throughout downtown Rockford.
The group stopped at the Winnebago County Justice Center before moving to the Rockford Police Department District 1.
Officers have confirmed that no arrests have been made so far. The department asked everyone to go home shortly before 9 p.m.
- Unsettled and cooler pattern returns
- Chilly rain continues through Sunday evening
- Trubisky benched, Foles completes comeback in 30-26 win over Falcons
- Local yoga studio takes unique approach to relieve stress for Suicide Prevention Month
- Janesville Fire invites community to ‘Chalk the Walk’ for fire safety