DEKALB, Ill. (WTVO) — Police in DeKalb say something didn’t jibe with a man’s story that he had been shot in the hand while walking, and their investigation found that he allegedly accidentally shot himself at his home.
DeKalb Police say they were called to Northwestern Medicine Kishwaukee Hospital at 5 p.m. on Thursday, October 3rd, for a report of man who was shot in the hand.
The man, 23-year-old Jorge Barrios, said he was walking near his home when a vehicle pulled up next to him and someone shot him.
Investigators said evidence they collected at the scene did not match Barrios’ description of what happened.
Barrios was out on bond and on electronic home monitoring when the shooting took place. When police checked the house, in the 2200 block of Eves Circle East, they found a spent shell casing in Barrios’ bedroom.
Officers obtained a search warrant and found a loaded handgun, ammunition, cocaine, and cash in the bedroom, suggesting that Barrios accidentally shot himself.
He was arrested and charged with Armed Violence, Unlawful Possession of a Weapon by a Felon, Unlawful Possession of a Controlled Substance with Intent to Deliver, Unlawful Possession of a Controlled Substance, Reckless Discharge of a Firearm, and Unlawful Possession of Cannabis.
He was lodged in the DeKalb County Jail.
- Le-Win’s Arand, Winnebago’s Murphy express frustration over paused high school sports
- Web Extra: Full interview with Ric Arand on IHSA sports still being paused
- Saints’ Brees sees playoff clash with Brady’s Bucs as fate
- My Take: Picking the NFL’s Divisional Playoff games
- Cubs agree to terms on contracts with three players