DES MOINES, Iowa (WTVO) — In a speech on Thursday, former Vice President and 2020 presidential candidate Joe Biden said “poor kids are just as bright and as talented as white kids,” an awkward moment that he quickly clarified.
“We have this notion that somehow if you’re poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids,” he said during a Asian and Latino Coalition Town Hall in Des Moines, NBC News reported.
He paused, before quickly adding, “wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids.”
The Trump 2020 campaign quickly tweeted out the gaff.
“Yikes…have fun mitigating that one,” Andrew Clark, the campaign’s rapid response director, tweeted.
The awkward moment came just days after Biden chastised President Trump for having a “toxic tongue,” saying he lacked the moral authority to lead America.
- Belvidere falls to Genoa-Kingston at home
- Stillman Valley beats Winnebago on the road
- Stateline students preserve the stories and history of local veterans
- Tips for homeowners to stay warm and safe in winter storms
- Swedes’ therapy dog calendar profits support Rockford Police K-9s