(WJW) — Former President Jimmy Carter and his wife, Rosalynn Carter, are now officially the longest-married presidential couple, according to The Carter Center.
The Carters were married on July 7, 1946, and “they have been going strong now for 26,765 days,” The Carter Center posted on Facebook and Twitter.
Jimmy was 21 and Rosalynn was 18 when they got married. This was after Rosalynn rejected Jimmy’s first proposal because she had promised her father, on his death bed, that she wouldn’t get married until she finished college.
The Carters have been married for over seven decades and have four children and over 20 grandchildren.
Jimmy told Bill Gates back in 2017 that he and Rosalynn have been successfully for this long because they follow a few simple rules. Jimmy said these rules include doing things together whenever they can, giving each other plenty of space for hobbies and independent growth, and never going to bed angry.
It’s been quite a year for the Carters.
President Carter, who served as the 39th president of the United States, surpassed George H.W. Bush as the oldest living president in March.
He underwent surgery after he broke his hip in May.
The former first lady was admitted to the hospital at that same time after feeling faint. She underwent tests and left the hospital, according to multiple media outlets.
The former first lady also reportedly broke her hip in April, three weeks before her husband.
President Carter was granted tenure at Emory University in June.
- Newsfeed Now: Third COVID vaccine begins US rollout; 7-year-old opens lemonade stand to fund brain surgery
- Meteorological Spring Begins on a Chilly Note, Warmth Quick to Return
- Poplar Grove brothers with Down syndrome start their own business
- Trump calls for GOP unity, says he won’t start new party
- Texas attorney general sues power company over storm’s high energy bills