As you decorate and make plans to entertain guests this holiday season, the Red Cross is reminding people of safety measures to follow to protect your home.

The Red Cross offering up seven fire safety tips to remember as you light holiday candles, string up lights and gather with family and friends:

  • Keep kids, pets and decorations away from lit candles.
  • Check food regularly while cooking and remain in the home while cooking.
  • Choose decorations and artificial trees that are flame resistant. Place tree away from exits.
  • Never leave portable heaters or fireplaces unattended.
  • If hanging stockings on the fireplace, do not use the fireplace for fires.
  • Keep items that can catch on fire at least three feet from anything that gets hot.
  • Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections.

The Red Cross recommends connecting no more than three strands of mini light sets and the total number of bulbs to 50. For more safety tips, click here.