UPDATE: Between 200 and 250 residents were forced to evacuate from Shannon in Carroll County.
The Shannon Fire Department was called to the scene of a fallen arcing power line at 5:14p.m. Friday evening. District Fire Chief: Jim Klinefelter says the fallen power line burned through the roadway and ruptured a natural gas line.
Officials believe the majority of residents should be able to return to their homes tonight, however, a few may have to be put up for the night. The Red Cross is helping those residents.
Residents of Shannon, in Carroll County, have been forced to evacuate due to a natural gas leak. The leak is located at the intersection of Stanton Street and Illinois Route 72.
The Carroll County Sheriff’s Department ordered the evacuation of a five block radius surrounding the leak. Residents have been asked to report to Eastland Elementary School on Division Street.
Nicor and ComEd have been called to the scene.
We have a crew on the way to the scene and will have updates as they are available.