A sprinkler system managed to contain a grease fire inside a Rockford apartment building.
The Rockford Fire Department responded to the 2200 block of 8th Street around 3:40 p.m. on Tuesday, March 12. Investigators say the tenant was cooking when her pan caught on fire and spread flames toward the bottom of a kitchen cabinet. She attempted to put out the fire, but burned herself while moving the pan. She, then, ran outside with her two children.
The building’s sprinkler system contained the fire in the grease pan. Crews extinguished a small fire that was still burning on the cabinet. The estimated loss from damages is $25,000.
The tenant had a minor burn on her arm from moving the pan. Everyone is expected to be ok.