ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — Rockford Police have charged Sean Cardenas, 20, with arson and burglary for allegedly breaking into and setting fire to a Burlington Coat Factory store on Saturday, May 30th.
According to police, officers were summoned to the business, at 6260 E. State Street, by an alarm around 11 p.m., and saw that the front doors of the building had been smashed in. Police say they found a smoldering fire in the northeast corner of the building, which they extinguished.
Police say they identified Cardenas through a follow up investigation.
In addition to the burglary and arson charges, Cardenas is also charged with Felony Criminal Damage to Property.
He is being held at the Winnebago County Jail.
- Illinois reports 10,959 new cases of COVID-19, 192 deaths Thursday
- Second stimulus checks: McConnell says ‘compromise is within reach’
- Tiger nearly tears off volunteer’s arm at Big Cat Rescue in Tampa, Carole Baskin says
- Walmart announces 4th round of cash bonuses for employees
- ‘COVID slide’: How parents can help children struggling with remote learning