BELVIDERE, Ill. (WTVO) — 54-year-old Leonard Jones, of Rockford, was sentenced to 6 years in prison after a jury found him guilty of leading police on a lengthy police chase after they attempted to pull him over for running a red light.
Belvidere Police say they tried to pull Jones over on May 15th, 2019, at 3:55 a.m. after a patrol officer spotted his car, which Rockford and Winnebago police reported as fleeing from them earlier that morning.
When the officer saw Jones fail to stop at a traffic light, he attempted to pull him over, at which point Jones led police on a chase for an hour and a half, until he ultimately lost control and crashed into a ditch.
He was convicted of Aggravated Fleeing or Attempt to Elude a Police Officer on September 12th.
- Rockford City Council discusses raising the number of video gaming machines
- Sinnissippi Golf Course saved from the chopping block, for now
- Auburn’s Nevenhoven hoping for a big October finish to the tennis season
- Police investigate after man shot to death outside Rockford apartment building
- Police investigate after Rockford woman killed while crossing Auburn St.