ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — Terrell Ellis will spend 70 years in prison for brutally beating his girlfriend to death in 2016, a judge ordered Thursday.
Ellis was convicted of First Degree Murder in May of 2019.
Prosecutors say Ellis killed 35-year-old Monica Box in her home on Louisiana Road.
Ellis had several prior run-ins with police, and had been released from prison the day before the murder.
The jury said the crime was exceptionally brutal and cruel.
- Breonna Taylor’s family want release of grand jury transcripts; Louisville mayor calls for peaceful protests
- Suspect in shooting of 2 Louisville officers will face charges of assault, wanton endangerment
- Video released of alleged kidnapping attempt in Costco parking lot
- First man cured of HIV infection now has terminal cancer
- Watch: Mechanics rescue kitten stuck in dashboard of car