ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — Rockford Police say a 34-year-old man was killed and four others wounded in a shooting at the Citgo ‘Way Low’ gas station at 2419 W. State Street Wednesday night.
Police Chief Dan O’Shea said that around 7:10 p.m. Wednesday evening, officers identified five victims struck by gunfire.
In addition to the man pronounced dead at the scene, a 46-year-old man, a 26-year-old man, a 24-year-old woman, and a 56-year old man were also shot. One of the victims is said to be in critical condition.
Investigators believe this was a targeted shooting, but no further information is available. Officers say there were multiple shooters.
Police Chief O’Shea called the surge in gun violence “aggravating” since the community had recently been in the right direction, statistically. He is asking the public for help in finding the suspects.
- Democratic governors reject Trump’s call to send in military
- Boxer Floyd Mayweather to pay for George Floyd’s funeral
- Violence continues as Trump threatens military force against protesters nationwide
- Officer shot in the head in Las Vegas on life support
- Carole Baskin awarded zoo once owned by ‘Tiger King’ Joe Exotic