ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — A Rockford Police Officer was injured while controlling traffic at an accident scene on Kishwaukee last night when 29-year-old Adriana Ruiz allegedly struck him with her Jeep.
Police say the officer was sitting in his car, blocking off the area around an accident at Kishwaukee Street and 8th Avenue shortly after 11 p.m. Tuesday when Ruiz allegedly struck his squad car.
The officer was taken to the hospital with minor injuries.
Ruiz was not injured and was believed to be driving under the influence of alcohol and texting.
She was charged with Driving Under the Influence and cited for Failure to Reduce Speed, Violating Scott’s Law, and Operating an Electronic Communications Device.
She was taken to the Winnebago County Jail.
- McDonald’s manager allegedly quits mid-shift, informs customers via sign posted in drive-thru lane
- Video: Young children caught between masked gunman, victim nearly shot on New York sidewalk
- WHO accused of sexism for suggesting women of ‘childbearing age’ shouldn’t drink
- Wary Rockton residents return home for first time since Monday’s Chemtool plant fire
- Pritzker signs bill to make mail-in voting permanent in Illinois