ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — Rock Valley College’s Starlight Theater will receive a neighborhood grant to help it reach a goal of becoming more “racially inclusive” in the performing arts.
Currently, black actors and technicians represent less than 20% of those involved in live theater, including performers, playwrights, director, stage managers, and choreographers combined.
The grant funds will go towards a one-week camp run by Starlight’s current staff and artists.
The camp is tentatively set to be held for the Fairgrounds Valley Boys and Girls Club in late July or early August.
- Rockford crews respond quickly after trailer fire near Sandy Hollow Road
- Salt Life co-founder arrested after teen found dead in hotel room
- US shatters daily COVID record with nearly 100,000 new cases
- Original James Bond actor Sean Connery dies at 90
- Get To Know Guilford’s Jaden Greenlee