ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — September 19th is “Apple for the Teacher Day”, the Golden Apple Foundation’s annual event to let teachers know that they’re appreciated in the classroom.
The day is also the kickoff for nominations for the Golden Apple Award.
Close to 100 volunteers in Boone and Winnebago counties spent the morning Thursday delivering thank you cards and apples.
This year, the awards will be focused on elementary educators.
“We all know somebody who touched our lives when we were in school, a teacher who made a significant impact, a difference for us,” said Michelle Gorham, President of the Golden Apple Foundation. “And we know there are hundreds of teachers throughout Boone and Winnebago County who are making that difference, right now, in the classroom, and this little golden apple is…our way of thanking them and recognizing them.”
The Foundation will announced the five Golden Apple Award winners this Spring.
Teachers can be nominated using this online form.
- LIVE: Lightfoot announces ‘business curfew’ in Chicago as COVID-19 cases rise
- VIDEO: Texas man sprays woman with water during Black Lives Matter argument with neighbor
- Man arrested in Oregon sentenced to 60 months in prison for re-entering US after being deported
- Illinois reports highest single-day record with 4,942 new COVID-19 cases Thursday
- Illinois starts planning for COVID-19 vaccine as cases surge