Fundraising efforts have begun after a seven-year-old boy died unexpectedly on Tuesday.
Gabriel Russell collapsed while at Camp Winnebago. He was taken to a local hospital, but passed away. The Winnebago County Coroner says Gabriel suffered a medical emergency related to an asthma attack, and that his death was not related to the heat.
YMCA of the Rock River Valley CEO & President Mike Brown released the following statement:
Our community suffered a tragic loss yesterday with the passing of one of our campers. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family of the child as we all grieve during this difficult time. We are thankful to the Northwest Fire Protection District emergency responders and chaplains for their support of our staff. As our families share the news with their children, we are here to support their needs. We ask that you please pray for the family and friends of this child and respect their privacy as they mourn such a heartbreaking loss.
Gabriel’s family has started a GoFundMe page to help pay for memorial services, that can be found here.