ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — Two Rockford men are in police custody after officers stopped them after hearing gunshots and discovered drugs and weapons in the car.
Rockford Police say shortly before 2 a.m. Thursday morning, officers on patrol heard gunshots in the area of Woodlawn and Whitman Street.
Police pursued a vehicle leaving the area at a high rate of speed and say that when they tried to pull the vehicle over, the driver fled.
The vehicle came to a stop in the 700 block of Independence, where both the driver, 36-year-old Samuel Skinner, and the passenger, 31-year-old Cordaine Harris, were arrested.
Police say they found a handgun, ammunition, three baggies of cocaine, numerous pills containing “a controlled substance”, and thousands of dollars in cash in the vehicle.
Skinner was charged with Unlawful Use of Weapons by a Felon, Unlawful Possession of a Firearm by a Gang Member, Possession with Intent to Deliver a Controlled Substance within 500 feet of a School, Armed Violence, Fleeing to Elude, and No Firearm Owner’s Identification Card.
Harris was charged with Possession with Intent to Deliver a Controlled Substance within 500 feet of a School.
Both men were taken to the Winnebago County Jail.
- Standout defenseman Cody Franson returning to the IceHogs
- Winnebago County businesses brace for more restrictions as COVID-19 pos. rate reaches warning level
- Drive-thru flu shots available in Stephenson County
- Trump announces ‘Born Alive’ executive order
- October will feature two full moons, including Halloween