Winnebago County Sheriff’s Deputies have made five arrests, with charges pending against a sixth person, after a police pursuit in response to a call of a large fight with shots fired.
The call came in at 8:22pm for a fight in the area of Copper Dr. and Ruby Lane in Machesney Park. Dispatchers were informed that gunshots had been fired from a white Ford Taurus leaving the scene.
Deputies spotted the car and say they pursued it into Rockford for 20 minutes until the vehicle could be cornered in a parking lot at East State St. and Flintridge Drive by both Sheriff’s Deputies and Rockford Police Officers. A stolen handgun, believed to have been thrown from the car during the pursuit, was also recovered.
Detectives investigated the incident, and charges were filed against five people, three adult and two juveniles, all of whom are reported to be known gang members or are associated with the ‘Moe’s’, ‘Eastsiders’ and ‘Get Money Team’ gangs.
- Maurelle D. Day, 18, of Rockford- Mob Action, Aggravated Fleeing to Elude;
- Jaquan L. White, 18, of Rockford- Mob Action, Reckless Discharge of a Firearm & Rockford PD warrant for DUI;
- Renard Willis, 18, of Rockford- Mob Action;
- Juvenile Male,17, of Rockford- Mob Action, Reckless Discharge of a Firearm & Winnebago County Juvenile Custody warrant for Probation Violation;
- Juvenile Male, 17, of Rockford- Mob Action & Winnebago County Juvenile Custody warrant for Probation Violation.
The Sheriff’s Office says that charges are pending on the third teenaged male, age 17, and more charges could also be filed regarding the stolen handgun.