LAFAYETTE, Ind. (AP) — An Indiana state trooper has been killed in a car crash while he was headed to help another trooper.
Indiana State Police said in a news release that 27-year-old Peter R. Stephan of Lafayette died late Friday after his car struck a utility pole in Tippecanoe County.
Police said the crash happened after his car went off the road and rolled on Old State Road 25 while heading toward Americus. Police said they don’t know why his car left the road. Police said Stephan was responding to another trooper’s request for help.
Stephan had worked for Indiana State Police for four years. He’s survived by his wife and a 6-month-old daughter.
Gov. Eric Holcomb issued a statement saying he and his wife were “heartbroken” to learn of Stephan’s death.
- Teacher adopts student with Down syndrome after his mom dies of cancer
- NIU’s bowl hopes extinguished by 45-17 loss to Eastern Michigan
- Lena-Winslow bracing to face a potent passing attack Saturday
- Titans hit the turf in preparation for their State Semifinal game
- Village of Cherry Valley looks to continue 1% sales tax levy in March 2020 ballot
Copyright © 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.