SCHAUMBURG, Ill. (WTVO) — Schaumburg Police are looking into the possibility that a medical issue may have caused a driver to plow into Woodfield Mall Friday afternoon.
Investigators wouldn’t elaborate. The incident happened just before 2:30pm. An SUV plowed through a Sears entrance and drove through the mall.
WARNING: Video below contains profanity.
Video captured inside showed the car crashing into kiosks and windows. The driver didn’t actually hit anyone. However, three people were taken to the hospital for minor injuries.
No charges have been issued yet. Police also say there’s no indication this was a terror attack and the driver acted alone.
“The mall has been a safe place,” said Schaumburg Police Chief Bill Wolf. “It’s one of the safest malls in the area and it’ll continue to be a safe place to be.”
Chief Wolf also mentioned the suspect is from the northwest suburbs and that his department has never interacted with him before.
A building inspector also determined there’s no structural damage to the mall. It’ll reopen Saturday morning.
- CDC advises parents to look out for polio-like condition in children
- State prison turns away Logan County inmates infected with COVID-19
- Twin YouTube stars charged after Uber driver held at gunpoint during fake bank robbery
- Rivets ready to resume their season with a new-look roster stocked with local guys
- Local board looking to improve mental health access for teens