The vacant Kmart store at 5909 E. State Street is set to become a self-storage and moving facility for U-Haul, as the company moves to buy up former Kmart and Sears locations nationwide.
AMERICO Real Estate Co., U-Haul’s real estate division, is purchasing 13 vacant stores in a $62 million deal, according to SpareFoot.
Sears Holiding Corp. plans to sell more than 500 Sears and Kmart locations in total.
According to court documents filed in Sears Holdings’ federal bankruptcy case, the stores being purchased by Phoenix, AZ-based U-Haul are:
- 3115 Airport Way, Fairbanks, AK (Sears)
- 308 Dix Ave., Queensbury, NY (Kmart)
- 2875 Santa Maria Way, Santa Maria, CA (Kmart)
- 4110 E. Sprague Ave., Spokane, WA (Kmart)
- 5909 E. State St., Rockford, IL (Kmart)
- 20777 Bear Valley Road, Apple Valley, CA (Kmart)
- 200 Irwin Ave., Fort Walton Beach, FL (Kmart)
- 1805 E. Stone Drive, Kingsport, TN (Kmart)
- 3250 Clear Lake Road, Springfield, IL (Kmart)
- 996 W. View Park Drive, Pittsburgh, PA (Kmart)
- 1309 N. High St., Fort Atkinson, WI (Kmart)
- 17850 Frazho Road, Roseville, MI (Kmart)
- 1705 S. Main St., Roswell, NM (Kmart)