(UPDATE 12:15pm):  The Winnebago/Boone County Integrity task force has been activated in the wake of a shooting incident leading to the death of a Rockford Police Officer according to the Winnebago County State’s Attorney’s Office.


Police are not going into any more details about what happened as it remains under investigation, but say it began early Sunday when Officer Jaimie Cox attempted a traffic stop at State Street and Dawn Ave. of a white pickup truck be driving by 49-year-old Eddie Patterson.  Cox then made a short call indicating he was in distress after a scuffle ensued and at least one shot was fired.

Officers arrived to find the pickup crashed with Patterson dead inside, and Cox nearby with critical injuries.  Cox died at OSF St. Anthony Medical Center.

Chief Dan O’Shea said at a news conference that, “The preliminary results of the investigation indicate that Officer Cox was involved in a scuffle during the traffic stop that resulted in the Officer becoming entangled in the suspect’s vehicle. It is believed that officer Cox fired his weapon during this incident.”

Police would not detail what injuries killed either Officer Cox or Patterson, and whether either man suffered gunshot wounds.

Police Chief Dan O’Shea says that Cox had been with the department for less than a year, has a wife and served in the National Guard.

“It hurts,” O’Shea said during the news conference, where he thanked the community for their support and asked for prayer’s for Cox’s family.

Flags across the city have been lowered to half-staff.


A Rockford police officer was killed along with another person in a shooting which led to a crash after a traffic stop.

Rockford Police Chief Dan O’Shea says that shortly after 1am, an officer identified as 30-year-old Jaimie Cox made a traffic stop in the area of State Street and Dawn Avenue, when he made a brief call indicating he was in distress.

Responding officers found him to be critically injured, reportedly by a gunshot wound. The officer was transported to a OSF St. Anthony hospital where he later died.

A dead person was also located inside the vehicle of the car crash, his white pickup truck was so badly damaged, the truck’s bed and cab and had to be hauled away by separate tow trucks.  That person’s identity has not been released.


The Rockford Fire Department tweeted a statement saying,It is with a heavy heart that we mourn the loss of Officer Cox. Our thoughts and prayers are with Officer Jaimie Cox and his family.”

The body of officer Cox was transported to the Winnebago County Coroner’s Office by a police procession.

Cox joined the force in December of 2016.

Westbound lanes of State Street were closed but have since been reopened.  Dawn and Turner Streets near State Street remain blocked off.

The Rockford Police Department is asking anyone with information regarding this incident to contact the Rockford Police Department at 779-500-6551815-966-2900 or CrimeStoppers at 815-963-7867.

The shooting comes just three months after a Winnebago County Sheriff’s Deputy was shot during a traffic stop.

Jordan Spates reportedly shot Deputy Stephen Wright three time during a traffic stop near Springfield and South Main on September 23rd.  Spates fled was later captured in Atlanta, GA on October 6th, and returned to Rockford to face four counts of attempted murder and aggravated battery to a police officer with a firearm.

Wright survived but has since undergone two surgeries for his wounds.


The last Rockford Police officer killed in the line of duty was detective Kevin Rice in 2001.  Rice, who worked in the gang unit, was shot and killed by 19-year-old William Buck while investigating suspicious activity on a street.  Buck was sentenced to 60 years in prison.

Cox is the seventh Rockford Police Officer killed in the line of duty in the past 100 years.