(CNN) — If you got a surprising or alarming text message Wednesday, you are not alone.
In fact, more than 150,000 messages were sent that were originally intended for Valentine’s Day.
The glitch affected all major cellular carriers: AT&T, Sprint, Verizon and T-Mobile.
Dismayed consumers shared their experiences about receiving delayed messages on social media and Reddit.
Some said they received text messages from ex-boyfriends and ex-girlfriends that led to awkward conversations.
Others said the messages came from relatives or friends who have since passed away.
Some carriers blamed a third-party vendor. Others blamed a maintenance update.
The eight-month-old messages suddenly going out affected both Apple and Android devices.
There’s been no comment from Google or Apple.
Spokespeople for the carriers say it should not happen again.
- Locally Dense Fog Developing Tuesday Evening
- Midweek Warm-Up Comes with Heavy Rainfall
- Local students are able to see if they have what it takes to protect and serve
- Belvidere has a piece of community history back in town
- Byron High School Food Pantry receives donation to help low income students
Copyright © 2019 CNN Newsource. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.