LONDON, Ky. (AP) — Police in Kentucky say a mother and grandmother were arrested when deputies discovered a 16-day-old newborn covered in ants on the floorboard of their van.
News outlets report 32-year-old Rebecca Jean Fultz and 69-year-old Charolette J. Simpson were charged Thursday with criminal abuse of a child and failure to use a child restraint device.
A news release from Laurel County sheriff’s office says the baby was found during a traffic stop.
The statement says deputies found the baby on the floorboard between the front seats, soiled and breathing heavy. The van didn’t have a safety seat and there was no air conditioning.
The release says the baby was treated for dehydration and is in better condition.
It’s unclear whether Fultz or Simpson has an attorney.
- Huskies second half rally helps secure win at Eastern Illinois
- Rockford hospitals get green light to give new treatment to COVID-19 patients
- Winnebago County Sheriff hosts ‘Fill the Bus’ gift drive on Saturday
- Building trades organization opposes closure of Byron nuclear plant
- Federal judge orders DHS to restore DACA, open new applications
Copyright © 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.