(CNN) — Scientists thought this tiny deer-like animal was extinct.
But 25 years later, the “chevrotain” has been photographed in Vietnam.
Despite the nickname and appearance, chevrotains are neither mice nor deer, but the world’s smallest hoofed mammals.
Researchers thought they were extinct because of the illegal wildlife trade.
Scientist warn that just because this species was found, doesn’t mean it isn’t threatened.
Some want to put conservation measures in place to ensure the chevrotains survive.
Details of the rediscovery were published Monday in the Scientific Journal Nature Ecology and Evolution.
- Belvidere falls to Genoa-Kingston at home
- Stillman Valley beats Winnebago on the road
- Stateline students preserve the stories and history of local veterans
- Tips for homeowners to stay warm and safe in winter storms
- Swedes’ therapy dog calendar profits support Rockford Police K-9s
Copyright © 2020 CNN Newsource. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.