(ABC) — A wild turkey is on the loose and it’s chasing after a mailman in Waukesha, Wisconsin.
“He didn’t pay me any attention at all in the first couple of months,” said mailman Jeff Byrne. “He’s acquainted himself quite well with the truck, and now he’s started to follow me.”
Byrne said the turkey’s attraction started during the summer. He also said he’s been told the mail turkey is a male. Perhaps he’s waiting for a love letter.
The turkey is said to be a lover not a fighter, but he does ruffle Byrne’s feathers.
“He did startle me one time last week when I was coming back to the truck. He kind of jumped up and flapped his wings, feathers,” Byrne said. “Got real close to my face.”
Byrne has been a mail carrier for twenty years, and he said it’s the first time he’s had a turkey follow him.
“I’ll be honest. In the beginning it was ‘get away from the truck,” Byrne said. “But now I’m not even speaking to him.”
The US Postal Service said officially this isn’t the first time they’ve had a turkey stalk a mail carrier.
The reporter asked if the turkey annoyed Byrne, he said “It’s Thanksgiving. I can’t say he’s annoying. Too close to his holiday.”
Byrne said the turkey only follows him through one neighborhood.
- Republicans: IL Democrats’ proposed congressional maps ‘a complete joke’
- Will ‘Media Literacy’ classes help protect Illinois school children?
- Medicare open enrollment begins for Americans
- Rockford man charged with killing Madison man over dice game loss
- Stellantis offers Belvidere Assembly Plant employees option to relocate, quit, or be fired
Copyright © 2019 ABC News One. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.