ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. (FOX News) – A woman’s body was found inside a port-a-potty which exploded. Investigators said it’s possible that the victim was smoking and ignited fumes from inside the toilet.
A pile of ash and burnt leaves were the only signs of the fire on Horseshoe Road in Saint Augustine.
Neighbors told WFOX around 7 a.m. Saturday they saw flames in front of this home that’s under construction.
The Saint Johns County Sheriff’s office says a porta-potty was on fire. When firefighters put it out, they found a woman’s remains.
Amy Horan was pulling up at her grandparents’ driveway when she saw detectives blocking the road.
“State police got here, and they had to put gloves on and then they had, they had a hazmat suit,” she said.
Neighbors said the public toilet had been right next to this home under construction for about five months. They watched all morning long as this forensics team gathered clues about who might have been inside.
“The portalet blew up so I mean there’s nothing left, at all. That’s where it was…. and I know they took pictures, footprints over there so they’re looking,” an unidentified neighbor said.
The owner of the home says no one was working there this weekend.
As neighbors wait for autopsy results, they want to know who the person died is and how the fire started.
- Corey Anderson moves up Bellator MMA’s rankings, moves closer to $1M payday
- Spring freeze arrives following a few snow flurries/rain showers Tuesday
- Floating docks to be installed at Rockford’s Davis Park
- Old Settlers Days tickets going on sale Friday
- Brown, Timpe, Toelke lead area girls All-State basketball picks
Copyright © 2020 Fox NewsEdge. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.