An exploding Whirpool refrigerator damaged several rooms inside of a home in West Palm Beach on Saturday, WPTV reports.
“I was in my room I was asleep and I just heard the bang,” Mark Ligondie told the news station.
Ligondie rushed to the kitchen and found the 4-year-old appliance in pieces. The ceiling and walls of nearby rooms were cracked and a bedroom window was broken.
“The fridge exploded and if you look at this angle right here it expanded and expanded so much it bent the metal of the stove,” Ligondie said. “There were fumes coming everywhere.”
The bang was heard by neighbors who ran to their home to help. Fortunately, no one was hurt, and the fire department quickly showed up to clear the home.
Whirlpool issued a statement in response to the incident, saying in part: “Whirlpool is committed to providing safe products for consumers. We are working quickly to look into this incident.”