(AP) – Wimbledon has been canceled for the first time since World War II because of the coronavirus pandemic.
The All England Club announced after an emergency meeting that the oldest Grand Slam tournament in tennis would not be held in 2020. Wimbledon was scheduled to be played on the outskirts of London from June 29 to July 12.
It now joins the growing list of sports events scrapped in 2020 because of the COVID-19 outbreak. That includes the Tokyo Olympics, the NCAA men’s and women’s college basketball tournaments and the European soccer championship. The last time Wimbledon was called off was 1945.
Copyright © 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Bears promote Desai to defensive coordinator
- Winning numbers drawn Friday night for $1B Mega Millions prize
- Rockford Police investigate after one person is shot Friday night
- My Take: Championship Sunday picks & enamored with Hammerin’ Hank
- NFC Championship preview: Rodgers vs. Brady will steal the show