The Winnebago County Health Department is urging residents to test their homes for radon, the second leading cause of lung cancer in the U.S.
Due to the geology of Winnebago County, local residents are “at risk” for high levels of radon gas and two out of five homes have high levels. Radon gas is produced through the natural process of radioactive decay from uranium deposits found in rock, soil and water.
Radon gas is an invisible, odorless and tasteless gas that is normally dispersed in the air but can reach harmful levels when trapped in indoor buildings.
Radon is responsible for 20,000 lung cancer deaths per year.
During January, homeowners can purchase an AirChek Radon Test Kit for $8.00 or can check out a loaner Radon Gas Monitor from the Winnebago County Health Department. For more information, click here.