LOS ANGELES (KLAS) — Hundreds of thousands of people are coming together to push for the cancellation of tabloid news site “TMZ.” This comes after the website leaked the news of Kobe and Gianna Bryant’s deaths this past weekend before authorities were able to notify the family.
As of 4:15 p.m. Wednesday, more than 425,000 people have signed the petition to cancel TMZ.
In a press briefing Sunday, the LA County Sheriff appeared to comment on the TMZ leak.
“There is wide speculation of who the identities are, however it would be wildly inappropriate right now to identify anyone by name until the coroner has made the identification through their very deliberate process and they’ve made the notification to the next of kin,” Sheriff Alex Villanueva said. “It would be extremely disrespectful to understand that your loved one was perished, and you learned about it from TMZ.”
The petition says ” This is beyond not OK, and its time that Fox and Warner take away their platform. Sign the petition to get TMZ taken down once and for all!”
- The Big Ten sets a new nine-game football schedule for teams in 2020
- ‘Let us play!’: Illinois prep players rally for fall sports
- Two people injured after crash near N. Alpine and Pepper Drive
- A strike by hundreds of nurses ended Saturday at University of Illinois Hospital in Chicago.
- Trump’s list of possible Supreme Court nominees